Monday, October 20, 2008

KRISTIN'S TOP HALLOWEEN PICKS

Kristin is a Chicago-area dark artist, runs the fantastic Yahoo! Group Chicago Creepster, an excellent source for information about all things spooky in and around Chicago, and is very active in the horror scene in Chicago.

FAVORITE HALLOWEEN MOVIES

Halloween always puts me in a mood for slashers, but they're always on TV so I'm choosing the favorite films that I'm always itching to see all year long but never take the time to enjoy. October is self-indulgent month!

  1. LADY IN WHITE - My all-time favorite film centered around Halloween. The right elements of gothic melodrama make this the perfect innocent ghost story that remains golden to this day. Makes you miss being a kid.
  2. PET SEMATARY - Another golden creepy classic that has everything you'd ever want in a spooky film...and how DARE they remake this?!? (Set to be released in 2010-Grr...)
  3. PUMPKINHEAD - A wonderful dark fairy tale with the coolest monster f/x I've ever seen, courtesy of artist/film's director, Stan Winston. (R.I.P.)
  4. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD - This was my favorite flick to bring to sleepovers as a teen (which annoyed my friends greatly) and the best punk rock party movie which makes me proud to be a part of its massive cult following...plus the coolest poster ever!
  5. NIGHTBREED - Monsters and madness in their most beautiful form. Thank you, Clive Barker, you've made me a believer of Midian.
  6. FLATLINERS - Cheesy, I suppose, but this takes place during Halloween and for its time was pretty well done. Shot in Chicago, too! Love it.
  7. HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II - Again, Clive gives us blood, beauty, gore and pain all in one lovely, perfect horror film. Can anyone's imagination top his? I don't think so. His mind greatly inspires my artwork as well.
  8. NEAR DARK - My favorite vampire film that never mentions the word vampire. Gritty, rebellious and funny: guns, burnt skin, spontaneous combustion, great soundtrack, & the coolest kickass characters you'd never want to meet in a bar. I've never seen anything else like it.
  9. MONSTER HOUSE - Amazing computer animation, great for Halloween.
  10. Bizarre FRANKENSTEIN flicks - Sorry, I couldn't narrow it down. The weirder, the better: FRANKENHOOKER, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, FLESH for FRANKENSTEIN, FRANKENTHUMB, etc.

FAVORITE HALLOWEEN CDS

  1. HALLOWEEN HOOTENANNY (No spookster should be without! Rob Zombie illustrations/art design...and killer surf music)
  2. PSYCHOCHARGER-Curse of the Psycho (Songs like "Graverobbers from Outer Space," "Redneck Zombies," and my pal Eric Pigors (TOXIC TOONS fiend art) performs voiceover on "Channel 13"..sounding like the Cryptkeeper!
  3. GOBLIN-Suspiria soundtrack
  4. HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES soundtrack
  5. SKINNY PUPPY-Too Dark Park (oh yes, full of fright!)
  6. HELLRAISER/HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II - both composed by Christopher Young
  7. ALIEN SEX FIEND-Drive My Rocket ("Now I'm Feeling Zombified")
  8. MINISTRY-Psalm 69 ("Scarecrow" is a good one to listen to as the dark orange Halloween sky welcomes the bats flying over your head!)
  9. SLAYER-Seasons in the Abyss ("Dance with the dead in my dreams...")
  10. DANZIG-Lucifuge

No comments: